Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 Expedition battery is good, alt is good but when you…

Customer Question
1998 Expedition battery is...

1998 Expedition battery is good, alt is good but when you try to start it, the car acts as if the battery is dead. You can put jumpers on it and it cranks starts right up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yep. Even took it to a parts store and they tested both battery and the alt.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried drain the computer system by disconnecting the ground for the battery placed a jumper from the positive to the negative to drain the computer memories. charged the battery all night at 2 amps. I was afraid that it was the PAS system. But once you put jumper cables on it she fires right up.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
9/25/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This would point toward the battery or starter. With meter monitor battery voltage while trying to start, it should maintain at least 11v. If voltage drops below 11v when trying to start then battery needs to be replaced. If good monitor voltage at both wires going to starter while trying to start, they should both show at least 11v with key in start position and if so replace the starter. Let me know if yo have more questions, thanks.

I have had the battery tested and the alternator. Both test great. The car acts like the battery is dead. When I hook up jumper cables it starts up just fine. So are you telling me that its my starter?
Its 11 at night here.

It is very likely but I'd still test battery yourself by monitoring voltage while trying to start. Often the load testers parts stores use are weaker then the starter would be. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.