Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The rubber boot in the center of the top keeps popping out…

Customer Question
The rubber boot in...

The rubber boot in the center of the top keeps popping out causing the engine to pop and sputter

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started today it's coming from between the spark plugs in the center of the cam cover

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2009 Focus

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm hoping to fix it myself. I haven't tried anything yet except pushing the rubber boot back in but it just pops back out

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
9/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 10 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Can you give me the VIN#?

1FAHP37N69W234483

That rubber boot is to cover the Cylinder head temperature sensor. The rubber boot at the top of the valve cover is just to insulate the wiring to the connector. Make sure the wiring connector under the boot is plugged into the sensor below it.

If that sensor goes bad would it cause pressure to pop the boot off and make the engine sputter

It will make the PCM (Engine Computer) think the engine is overheating, but it will not show on the gauge.

The rubber boot may have oil on it causing it to not seat properly and eventually come loose. You may want to have the valve cover gaskets replaced.