Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1996 ford Mustang Bought this for my kid and found out the…

Customer Question
1996 ford Mustang Bought this for...
1996 ford Mustang
Bought this for my kid and found out the pats system is gone ( the black box in the trunk the transceiver around key ignition ) have the keyless entry box. R eading and researching. I found that they came out with some not equipped with the PATS. Can I get the wire sychamtics w/out the PATS? or can I just run a jumper to the coil and splice the wires that were connected to the pats together. And would it be COLOR coded if I did so
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
9/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 9 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

The first thing to do is give me the VIN# ***** I can do some research in Fords database to see if your Mustang came with PATS. It may be too old being a 1996, but I can check.
Also, see if you can access the PCM with a code reader of scan tool and see what trouble codes are in the PCM.

1FALP4047VF159479
IT'S THE FIRST YEAR THEY CAME OUT WITH THE PATS.

Your Mustang is actually a 1997. Below is the Ford OASIS printout from Ford.

No powertrain codes guy probably erased them.
Says P1000

P1000 shows up after the codes have been cleared. The P1000 clears by itself after the vehicle has been driven 50 miles.

Can you send me a picture of the key you have for the vehicle.

Is the connector for the PATS transceiver still intact around the ignition key cylinder location and is the wiring connector present for the PATS module?

I think someone has tricked the PCM into thinking the PATS chip key is always present and now there is an electrical issue. The 1997 Mustangs all had PATS.

The PATS is gone no box no transceiver. The theft light blinks rapidly. The car cranks fires and dies. That tells me the theft system is activated correct. Besides I thought the 96-98 was PATS system A which means the PCM is not encoded with key so it could be bypassed. Can u send me the wire schematic w/o PATS
The two connectors for transceiver and for module. Connect those wires??? Seems like the would be a complete by pass. Just need to know which wires connect with which! This is just a guess on my part! Am I correct or no
Or just run a jumper to coil.

The PATS system cannot be bypassed. If so, that would make the system completely useless. The PCM can be programed with aftermarket programmers to eliminate the PATS system. They may have done something to allow the vehicle to start, but is not present or in place at this time. That is why the Theft light is flashing rapidly.