Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It sometimes won't start unless I use either. And we have…

Customer Question
It sometimes won't start...

It sometimes won't start unless I use either.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes and we have replaced the gas pump. The last time I drove the car jerked like it was going to stall while I was going 60 mph

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 Ford?

2001 ford eacape.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. We replaced the fuel pump and the coolent temperature sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes when I use a small shot of either it starts and continues to start until it sits overnight. Then it will crank freely until I use a shot of either.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

What is the fuel pressure at when this no start condition occurs?

We don't know. When we started it today it started without either

Ok, that will need to be checked next.

If can provide you with a list of possible causes if the pressure checks out good and if it does not check out good.

How do we check pressure?

This is done using a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel rail.

We have one but we're not sure how to hook it up

What size engine do you have?

6 cylinder

Thank you.

There should be a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail you can screw in the fuel pressure tester to check fuel pressure.

Is it the silver line under the throttle body?

You got it!

It tested at 65 pounds

Did you check it WHEN the engine does not start?

No

Ok that will need to be done.

How but how to I do that

You must wait until it acts up.

Ok that might be days so we will have to get back to you.

Sounds good