john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

On my 2004 F150 with a 5.4L engine I'm hearing what sounds

On my 2004 F150 with a 5.4L engine I'm hearing what sounds like a ticking/knocking/slapping sound which my mechanic friend said sounds like a lifter but he doesn't do that sort of work. If it is a lifter is there a way to quiet it down? If not, how big of a job is it to repair or replace a lifter as far as time and materials?

is the engine light on? is it coming from the front of the motor?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No light or codes. Sounds like maybe from the left valve cover or left side somewhere

usually its a timing chain slap..thats the most common on these...does it go away when warm? does it increase with rpms?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Seems to lessen a bit when warm. I'll check to see if it increases with rpms

ok

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Okay it speeds up with rpms and there's a sound even louder upon starting which is an intermittent slapping sound which seems more on the right side maybe towards the front but not sure. It doesn't sound as bad after a minute and it's not a steady ticking like the other sound

its a over head cam motor generall its a timing chain noise i would use a stethoscope to narrow down or pull the valve covers and inspect for damage...these motors are common for chain and or guide failure when they get some age and miles

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Okay and what's the hrs and size of job to change the chain and guides?

a lot let me look up labor times give me a few

11 hours

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
John S

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay thanks