Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought a 2007 Ford E250 cargo van from a state

Customer Question
Hello, I just bought a...
Hello, I just bought a 2007 Ford E250 cargo van from a state surplus auction. They say it won't start and possibly needs a starter. I plan to tow it home, but am wondering if there are any common glitches to troubleshoot hoping it might be an easy fix on the spot so I won't have to tow it 250 miles.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
9/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The most common cause if the fault is a no crank no start issue and you have plenty of power to electronics in the vehicle is the starter itself.It is located at the bottom side of the engine on the passenger side as shown below.One quick little test that tends to work most of the time is to tap on the starter with a hammer and have someone try and start it at the same time.If it then turns over and starts then it needs replaced but this may get you going until you can have it looked into and replaced.You can also test the signals at it with a multi meter or test light.The large wire should have power at all times key on or off and the smaller wire should have power only when the key is held in the start/crank position.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qm0ay49pw77iyg/s-09-24.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete