Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Going down the road and the wrench and reduced engine power…

Customer Question
Going down the road...

Going down the road and the wrench and reduced engine power came on and it want go no faster then 20 right now and I'm on I 95

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

130000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pulled over cut it off and on 2008 f350

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes please

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
Now will not go over 40 mph
Diesel
9/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: Fix It Man, Master Technician replied 9 months ago
Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** of the time when this occurs it is due to an issue with the DEF system or a turbo issue. I would first double check your gauges. If the engine oil or coolant are getting very hot then this will occur. If the temperatures seem fine and if there are not any other warning messages then you will need to scan the computer for codes to see what the computer is seeing as the fault, but typically if it is powering down it is a DEF issue. In some cases it can also be a voltage issue if the alternator is not putting out the correct voltage to power the system. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

How would you know if it's the alternater
It's running 40 is it ok to continue driving

If the batteries get low enough then you will see a battery light on the dash, but other than that you would need to test it with a voltage meter or have a parts store test it for you.

Is it ok to continue driving

It should be fine to drive. If it is the alternator though it will eventually run out of battery power and stall so if the battery light comes on you will know that you are running out of available voltage from the batteries.

I'm 140 miles from home do you think if I stop it will reset itself
Take a nap for about 4 or 5 hours

Most of the time it will. If the check engine light has not come on then most of the time it is something that will change or cool down as it sits.

What u think
Thanks

No problem. If you need anything else please let me know. Please rate my service when you can also. Thank you