Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Coolant will not flow back from the overflow tank into the…

coolant will not flow...

coolant will not flow back from the overflow tank into the radiator.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

180,000 mikles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2008 ford explorer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing it myself. replaced the radiator cap

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

can you explain a little bit more about whats going on?

coolant flow into the reservoir tank ok but does not always move back to the radiator
what is the fix

so there must be a clogged hose some where, I would perform a flush on the system and inspect all the hoses, make sure there are no cold spots in the radiator before the flush to rule out any restrictions there

radiator was replaced the small hose to the overflow tank was replaced. the radiator will not suck the coolant back into the radiator

is it overheating? what is making you this it has this condition?

when the coolant level drops because the coolant goes into the overflow tank and stays the engine overheats. the overflow tank continues to fill until it overflows. the radiator holds pressure until the engine cools to air temperature.

this make more sense now, you may have a thermostat issue, water pump, fan, or blown head gasket, I would start by checking the thermostat first, with a temp gun check both sides to make sure its opening, is the fan working ok ?

the fan is working fine. the thermostat is ok. The engine does not overheat until the coolant level goes down because the coolant has filled the overflow tank. I would assume you have never experienced this problem before.

Im just trying to make sense out of it so I can help you better, I feel there is some information im not getting here, so have you verified flow at the water pump ?

the water pump is work ok. As long as the coolant level in the radiator is full, there is no problem. When the coolant overfills the overflow tank, the engine will over heat.

I would have it checked for a blown head gasket, they have the kits you can rent at the local auto parts store

will check! BY

sounds good let me know how it goes

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician