Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It wont change gear when engine is running and it wont rev…

Customer Question
It wont change gear...

It wont change gear when engine is running and it wont rev past 3500 rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Its original I think 2005 no not checked brake switch but it changes gear when engine is off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Ford five hundred

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Five Hundred yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have changed the throttle body

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not yet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
When will I get an answer to my question
9/23/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This is a common symptom of a clogged catalytic converter. Completely remove front oxygen sensor to relieve exhaust pressure, if this allows rpm to go past 3500 this would mean the converter is clogged and needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Will this cause the car to not go into gear when the engine is running

Probably not, I missed that part. Is check engine light on? Do reverse lights work?

The check light is on
The reverse lights were working as far as I know

Do you know what diagnostic codes you are getting? Can you double check reverse lights? Thanks.

The code I think p0701 I will check reverse lights
the reverse lights come on

All wheel drive?

No just front wheel drive

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minutes to gather info.

Ok thanks

This code just means there are other transmission codes stored, you may need to have codes checked with scan tool capable of reading transmission codes but it does seem like these vehicles have a lot of transmission issues. Let me know what other codes are when you get a chance to check them, thanks.

Dan, Technician