Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car is idling high when I start it up to about 3000 rpm's…

Customer Question
My car is idling...

My car is idling high when I start it up to about 3000 rpm's or when I'm trying to stop and I engage the clutch and brake or when I reverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2002 ford escape 2.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the IAC, air filter, EGR sensor, spark plugs and wires and a few hoses. still idling high

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 11 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

is the engine light on?

no
are you still there
Hello John are you still there?
the engine light is not on
Ford Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 11 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Hi welcome to just answers my name is ricardo. Is very possible that you may have a bad Trottle position sensor have you check the voltage on this sensor at idle?
1. If the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) voltage is too high, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will interpret it as part throttle. When it thinks the throttle is at part throttle, the operating strategy is to duty cycle the IAC up so that when the throttle is closed, the IAC acts as an "electronic dashpot" so that the throttle is not closed too quickly causing excessive emissions out of the tail pipe. If the PCM thinks that the engine is colder than it actually is, it may command the idle higher. Check the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) or Cylinder Head Temperature sensor (CHT) when cold and hot to verify that it is showing the correct temperature.
2. With the engine at operating temperature, and the IAC valve unplugged, the idle should be set at approximately 550-600 RPM. This puts the base idle within the operating strategy of the PCM.3. With the idle set at 550-600 RPM, typical TPS voltage should be 0.6-1.0 volts, but not more than 1.0 volt.4. After adjustments are made, the idle strategy needs to be cleared from the PCM by disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes.5. After the strategy has been cleared, test drive the vehicle for an idle relearn and retest.
If one just unplugs the IAC, the engine will kill. Hold the throttle open at about 2000 RPM with one hand, unplug the IAC with the other and gradually bring the throttle to its closed position and make the necessary adjustments.