Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine wont turn-over when ignition engaged, battery,

Customer Question
engine wont turn-over when...

engine wont turn-over when ignition engaged , battery , alternator, and starter are new or recent , all indicators operating , fuel pump operating . Have had problem with ignition switch "sticking' , have to shake it a little to get it to turn .

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

It does not seem to be damaged , wheel turns with ignition on .

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 F-i50 6 cyl. automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was looking for a solution ... thought it was battery , but alternator needed replacing , this was done locally. Problem occurred again about a month later , battery was old so I replaced it to see if that may be the problem , still no response when I turn ignition . Was wondering if it could be a fuse ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of , not much of a mechanic myself , lol .

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
9/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So in that system you could be having a few issues, it could be a relay, transmission switch, clutch switch if its manual, poor connection, or wiring issue

Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.