Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Where is the Camshaft Position Sensor on a 2012 F150 Lariat…

Customer Question
Where is the Camshaft...

Where is the Camshaft Position Sensor on a 2012 F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The Camshaft Position Sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

New plugs, boots, injector cleaner

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Problem is stumbling on hard acceleration. Otherwise runs fine.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What is the actual code you are getting?

Variety of codes including P0302, P0304 occasionally but more important it is missing on hard acceleration.
Just need to know where the Camshaft Position Sensor is.

These codes would unlikely be caused by camshaft position sensor and there are more then 1. If cam sensor was problem you would have specific code for cam sensor. What other codes are you getting? Thanks.

Understand all of the above. Anyway, Never mind. I found it.

I just don't want you wasting money or time on replacing wrong parts, let me know if that takes care of problem and if not we will continue with other causes. Thanks.

Get it figured out?

We are trying to solve the 3.5 Ecoboost Misfire problem. As I've said we have done the obvious with changing plugs, boots and coils plus fuel injector cleaner as well as reflashing the ECM. All repairs have improved the performance of the engine but still have misfires when trying to accelerate rapidly. Do you have any experience with this problem? If not, can you connect me with someone who does? Currently contemplating drilling 1/16 inch hole in CAC to drain water as I understand that is a fix sometimes.
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 8 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Read the TSB below.

I have seen this TSB which is a way to fix the condensation problem with Charged Air Cooler. I have two questions. The first is are you aware of any other issues that might cause this problem? The second is are you familiar with the fix involving a 1/16 inch hole in the lowest part of the CAC?

The hole drill was a temporary fix Ford had us do before the TSB I posted.

Three questions. First, how did the hole drill work? Second does the TSB fix make the problem go away once and for all? Third, any idea what Ford charges to apply the TSB fix? (Hopefully, nothing since this sounds like a design flaw)
Regarding the hole drill I mean how well did it work in resolving the problem.

The hole drill allowed the moisture that builds in in the charge air cooler to drain out, but it still allows moisture in. The shields that the TSB shows stop the condensation in the CAC. Plus the redesigned CAC stops it.

The TSB is a permanent fix. Ford will only do it for free if your truck is still under warranty. If not, you will be charged. TSBs are only bulletins that Ford puts out to aid technicians in repairing common problems. The Recalls are totally different as they are safety concern the NTSB has the manufacturer repair.

Ok. Thanks for your help. I will call Ford tomorrow. Do you want to know what quotes I get for the repair?

Your welcome.

A. Penland
A. Penland