Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Live in remote area. After hurricane Harvey passed by I got…

Customer Question
Live in remote area...

Live in remote area. After hurricane Harvey passed by I got 98 F-150 stuck in mud; neighbor pulled me out. Drove it onto driveway for duration of storms. Later tried starting and found battery apparently dead (after 7 years) and clicking noise under dash, at fuse box, just when opening door. Just got NEW battery & when I tried starting it began clicking, etc. Except for clicking nothing happens. Fuse/s & or relay, or ???

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

It's a BRAND NEW FULLY CHARGED BATTERY and at 70 years old have changed many.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing but changing battery. Since I live in a remote area I would like to get it running to be able to bring in fort servicing; it has 210,000+/- miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
9/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

if your having clicking you either have a bad connection faulty wire or starter, I would check voltage at starter and see what your getting there in start position, if everything checks out do a voltage drop test, if that is good you need a starter