Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Will not idle in gear and hard starttrng. The transmission…

Customer Question
Will not idle in...

Will not idle in gear and hard starttrng

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The transmission is original

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1997 ford escort 2.0 sohc eng

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escort yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the fuel filter ignition wires fuel pump and spark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cannot find the connection to a vacuum line off the throttle position switch

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

I would try removing and cleaning the Idle air control on the throttle body first. You can remove it, clean it up with some carb cleaner, then reinstall it. If the engine runs better and starts better then you can just leave it and not replace it. If it doesn't help let me know and we can look elsewhere.

I am sending along a diagram of the IAC to help you locate it.

Please try this and let me know.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

I hadn't heard back and was wondering if you needed more help with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician