Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have large EVAP leak codes P0455, P0456.Vehicle starts but…

Customer Question
Have large EVAP leak...

Have large EVAP leak codes P0455, P0456.Vehicle starts but immediately cuts out when foot removed from accelerator.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

Vehicle (and hoses) is 15 yrs old. 2002 Ford F150 4.6L 2V V8. Truck went thru storm Harvey. did not flood but gas tank and cannister, etc WAS underwater for long time!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hose ordered that goes to evap system behind throttle body which when observed was terribly rotted and flaking off. could not feel specifichole but def needs to be replaced. hopefully it will be that simple!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. I am not a technician, just what I glean from youtube vids.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 11 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** hose is the supply vacuum for the evap system, if it is rotted and flaking, then this is going to be your problem, it is straight manifold vacuum, and if it has a hole in it somewhere, it will caue it not to idle, and set the code, have you put the new hose on yet?

No, just ordered it a few days ago from RockAutoparts.com....their parts are usually the best deal and quality is good.
Thanks, ***** ***** am on a fixed income and wasn't planning on any additional costs.
Thanks for the initial diagnosis and its good to know that this service is available if I should need it in the future. Your time (and info) was appreciated. Goodbye for now and thanks again.