Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My father had a 2000 superduty and died last month. He used…

Customer Question
My father had a...

My father had a 2000 superduty and died last month. He used to get it into gear by putting a 'pin' and spring back up underneath the steering wheel somewhere, holding it there, and shifting it into gear...there was always no reverse. What is wrong with this picture? What is the procedure needed to properly replace or correct this terrible operating condition he had been enduring?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

The gearshift was completely loose. Its the linkage...its not that it doesnt HAVE the gears, just using the arm to shift.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Ford?

250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Lol...haha. Nothing. He could make anything run with a fork...he was just parking it in nuetral with the emergency brake as far as i was told. Id like to get it into a shop...but cant get it into gear like him. Transmission WAS fine. But the linkage between the arm and shift cable has a metal cylindrical 'pin' and spring that always fell out into the floor board. Hed pick it up, place it somewhere under the steering wheel back 'into place' nd shift it into drive. It is sitting in nuetral with the ebrake on since he died. Parked that way

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No maam

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
9/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 9 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, it sounds like the spring on the end of the shifter tube is falling out that the shifter able hooks up to at the end of the tube on the column. The tube is serviced as shown once the steering column covers are removed and the column lowered and the PRNDL indicator is disconnected. The main thing that happens is the two two bolts that hold the bracket to the end of the tube loosen up over time. If the plate fell off the cable that runs to the trans it will be sloppy and have issues.

Do you need more help with this concern?

if you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.