Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Noticed a rapidly worsening loss of power on 2008 Ford

Noticed a rapidly worsening...

Noticed a rapidly worsening loss of power on 2008 Ford Expedition (5.4L). Also noticed smell of gasoline. Checked air filter...very dirty and replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time the filter was replaced? How has your mileage been lately?

Attempted to drive it today. More loss of power and engine light came on going up a hill. Retreated home to change vehicles. Opened hood and observed wetness (gasoline) on the passenger side of the engine. started to notice a loss of gas mileage as you asked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

I hope to fix it. I replaced the air filter this morning before testing it. I have a fuel filter but have not installed it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The air filter was pretty bad. Dusty road past a limestone quarry so I am not sure if that might have precipitated further problems.

9/21/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

OK

This condition is most likely caused by faulty tune-up components or a fuel delivery issue (flow fuel pressure due to a faulty pump, fuel pump circuit issue or faulty mass air flow sensor)

Some other possible causes are..

Oxygen sensor

fuel injector

Bad gas

Base engine mechanical issues

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Let's just type. Well I started noticing slightly less fuel economy on a highway trip @ 2 weeks ago. This week I thought fuel economy was still poor and started smelling gasoline. Made it home where I checked the air filter which was very dirty so I replaced that. This morning I lost power going up a steep hill and engine light came on. I returned home and noticed the passenger side engine was wet with gasoline.
How would you triage from here?

If there are any fuel leaks under the hood, they need to be fixed asap.

Fuel rail, fuel injectors or O-rings..

I don't think I mentioned it, but the engine only had loss of power and I did not notice the engine running rough or mis-firing. Not sure if that helps.

If that is the case, then I suspect low fuel pressure, plugged exhaust or possibly a faulty mass air flow sensor.

Glad I can help!

That might cause the engine light and loss of power, but I am thinking whatever is causing it to leak fuel is the problem.....now to find out where the leak is.

By looking at. :)

Just do a good visual inspection and maybe turn the key on to prime the system. That will make it easy to locate the leak.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN