Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am installing a taxi meter on a 2006 ford fivehundred.My…

Customer Question
I am installing a taxi...
I am installing a taxi meter on a 2006 ford fivehundred.My question is where is the wire location to hook up the wire for the speed sensor?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/21/2017
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 11 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello, I am Randall, Sorry for the delay. I am working on your question now, I will return with answer shortly

Ok, you have a couple choices, You are looking for the output speed sensor signal wire. You can tap into it at or near the plug to the OSS sensor OR you can go to the PCM plug which is under hood, near firewall on passenger side, The wire color is Grey/Red. the sensor has 2 wires one = Grey /red and the other is DK blue/yellow. If you go to the PCM? looking for pin #91 and will be the grey/red wire OR go to the sensor on the trans looking for the grey/red wire. I have attached 3 different pictures showing various info/locations

This car is an all wheel drive and a cvt type.Ive been trying to locate the speed sensor but I cannot find it.I gonna look at the car again and I will go back to you.Thanks.

then easier to just go to the PCM, I sent pin# ***** wire color

I cannot see the pcm on the firewall.This car is 2006 ford fivehundred.
Hi Randall,
I've seen the pcm on the passenger side near the firewall.But it has 3 plugs on it.Different from the one you send me.
Hello,Are you still there?

let me check something

Ok,thanks

I have no idea what happened but was on wrong vehicle. I have to opt out as not enough info on my end for yours

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

The instrument cluster receives the vehicle speed data from the PCM over the communication network and commands the speedometer pointer according to the vehicle speed data received.

The PCM calculates vehicle speed from the transmission output shaft speed (OSS) sensor input and from the tire size and axle ratio configuration in the vehicle identification (VID) block of the PCM. The PCM provides the instrument cluster with the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) signal over the high speed controller area network (HS-CAN) communication bus.

You will need to get the signal from the OSS or from the OSS input to the PCM. Where do you want to get it from so I can get you diagrams?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Well I dont know if you are aware that I been using your site many times.If I am satisfied with the answer I am happy to give you a high rate.But now the man I am asking with give up,without giving me the answer.Is it not automatic it will be given to you deposit that i paid?
There are also a couple of times that my question was not given the right answer,so I dont know if this time I can the solution for the problem I have now.

Well I dont know if you are aware that I been using your site many times.If I am satisfied with the answer I am happy to give you a high rate. Thanks

But now the man I am asking with give up,without giving me the answer. I have no control over the prior experts answer or if they opt out.

Is it not automatic it will be given to you deposit that i paid? If you rate my response I am paid from your deposit.

There are also a couple of times that my question was not given the right answer, Sometimes that happens, car diag not in person is very difficult

so I dont know if this time I can the solution for the problem I have now. Where would you like to get the speed signal from?

It is ok.I'm just trying if some of you guys have encountered this kind of question.I am trying to connect a taximeter to the speed sensor wire.

Yes I have answered this question plenty of times. Did you read the answer I posted 9 hours ago and did you decide where you want to get the speed signal from?

Taxi is being paid by the distance they traveled.So the taximeter is needed to be connected to the speed sensor wire otherwise it cannot measure the distance that it traveled.There are 5 main wires in the meter.one of those,needs an output signal from the speed sensor.Where ever is easier to get the signal that is what I always do.
I want to connect it to the pcm because I cannot locate the speed sensor from the transmission.I have been doing this for quite a while,but for this car I cannot do it,so I came to ask you.

To connect to the OSS sensor you would need to do so within the transaxle before the wire goes to the TCM. To using the wiring at the PCM there is a special module you have to use to break down the HSCAN wires to get the VSS signal out. Another option is to splice into a ABS sensor or at the ABS module but some taxi meters can not use that type signal. Which works best for you?

If you can tell me please,the location of the wire,from the pcm.Thanks.

To connect to the wires to the PCM to get this signal you will need a special module to break down signal wire input to get out just a VSS signal. Do you have such module?

I dont have that module.Is this only applicable on this car?

It is not only applicable on this model, it is just applicable on vehicles that do not have stand alone dedicated speed signal wire.

Ok,so this is the only way in order for the taximeter to work?
Where can I get this module,and how many wire terminal on it?

I used to find them on ebay, though I just did a search and can not find them. Most likely due to the age of the vehicle.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris