Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

While driving on the highway today, the transmission seemed

while driving on the highway today, the transmission seemed to lose torque. The engine sounded like it was running correctly. When I stopped at a traffic light, the engine accelerated very slowly upon take off, sounded labored, but the transmission would only engage slowly and wouldn't shift to higher gear unless the vehicle was under very low or no acceleration
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: That I h aven't. I think that this is something else, though because the motor sounds like it is really labored even when in neutral
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 96 ford f250 twd
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. trying to get some ideas before I throw in the towel and take it to a shop the truck will drive, but only about 10 mph
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the engine was overheating a little, but not critical, and the catalytic converter seemed very how hot
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
when accelerating, the engine didn't respond well. Seemed to be really labored. If I stepped on the accelerator hard, it didn't generate much response but the truck acted like it was under very heavy load and on the verge of pinging

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Has the check engine light come on and if so do you know the fault codes?

Dose this feel like the transmission is slipping or is this an engine lack of power?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I did not see a check engine light. it feels more like a lack of power

A lack of power can be caused by a couple of things if the engine is not misfiring. I would start first with checking the fuel pressure to be sure its within specs. You need to see 32 to 45 PSI at the fuel rail service port. If the pressure checks okay then you may be dealing with a restricted catalytic converter which will cause a loss of power as well as an over heated converter and a change in sound of the engine as you have discribed. You can check to see if that is in fact the case by loosing the exhaust pipes at the exhaust manifolds till you have a healthy leak and then take it out for a drive and if the power returns then that means the converter is restricted and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
this all started at 65 mph. I noticed that the truck was not pulling or maintaining speed up a long incline, but seemed to be slowly losing speed. accelerating only caused the engine to sound more labored, but did not generate more speed. when I got to a stop, it had a hard time getting moving again and then would only make about 10 to 15 mph. If I kept the accelerator down, the engine reved, sounded labored, but not to full, but that didn't seem to translate to additional torque at the transmission.

This really dose sound to me like your converter is restricted and it can come on all at once as well. When it becomes restricted it will not allow the engine to breath and that cause the labored sound your hearing as well as the major lack of power. I would verify the fuel pressure is okay and if so loosen the exhaust and drive it again.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I don't have the tools to check the pressure so I will take the truck to a shop just down the street. Thanks for your help

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.