Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Please help me! I've been scouring the internet and no one…

Customer Question
Please help me! I've...

Please help me! I've been scouring the internet and no one seems to have answers for me. I had some jerking and occasional lack of forward moment, pulled codes after a stall and check engine light. Replaced the TSS and OSS, but now my car will not shift into gear. I've tried readjusting the shift lever but no matter what I do I can not get all gears to work. I either go into neutral in all positions, or I go into reverse in D, N and L. I need to know how to properly adjust this. The manual when replacing the TSS said "disconnect cable end from manual shift lever" I did not do that because there is no instruction on HOW. I don't want to break the plastic piece. There is the tab to lock/unlock the sliding adjuster but I don't see how the whole thing could come off the lever. I've tried the lever all the way clockwise, all the way counterclockwise and have tried in between(although it moves back to clockwise when the bolt is tightened) Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

2008, never replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Ford?

Edge

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The TSS and OSS have been replaced but I need to know how to adjust the shift manual lever

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's my only problem

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 11 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. do this procedure

That first step is where I'm confused. When it says disconnect, how? I'm taking the entire bushing off the lever? How does it come off without breaking the plastic slide lock?
How do I put the shifter in drive while the car is apart and not on?

standby

you spray it with lubricant, slide the lock tab back and it will come off the lever

got to get home from the shop, be back on in a bit

ok, thank you

sure

I did the procedure and almost all positions now lock in place, but it only goes in reverse. Even while on D. L does not catch and slips up into D
It seems that when tightening the bolt, the lever moves up a notch, I feel this might be the problem. How tight should the bolt be?
After adjusting, when it say verify that the reverse lights illuminate and that the car starts in N or D only...should I be trying all shifting positions? Does the computer somehow reprogram itself? I'm not sure why I'm still having trouble and can not get all gears

standby please

the vehicle should be able to start in neutral and park only. they want to make sure its adjusted properly. they also want to reverse is correct and that when the reverse lights come on you should be in reverse.

The reverse lights come on but no reverse. It only revs. I hear/feel no shifting into gear
I can now go forward. The L position does not lock into place on the shifter, it slides up into D. So I think something is still off

ok, so youre not adjusted correctly. try it again.

Tried again, twice and now it only goes in reverse again
L is still not locking

not sure whats going on, you might have to remove the center console and adjust it at that end also

check the cable adjustment at the shift lever

hows it going?