Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1991 Ford Tempo. The engine is sideways and about a…

Customer Question
I have a 1991...

I have a 1991 Ford Tempo. The engine is sideways and about a 1/2 inch clearance for access to the belts. My water pump belt broke. How do I get more access to the engine and replace the belt.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford Tempo. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Not at this time. I'm sure I'll have later.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Senior Master replied 11 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James.

You can put a floor jack with a block of wood underneath the engine oil pan and unbolt the engine mount from the body, then raise the engine as needed until you have sufficient clearance to access the belt.

James.

Wow! I'm just a driveway mechanic. I thought there might be an easier way. That type of equipment I don't have. Maybe it's a better idea to take it in and have all the belts changed at the same time?

They make a low profile serpentine belt tool for getting into tight spaces for about 20 and up, but it's half an hour labor at whatever your local shop rate is to replace both belts, probably around $60 for installation if you'd rather not hassle with it. James.

Sounds like too much for me. I think I'll just take it in and have all belts replaced at the same time. Thanks. You were honest and I appreciate that.

Not a problem. Thank you for using Just Answer.

When your question has been answered satisfactorily, kindly take a moment to use the 5 star rating system at the top of your screen. This is what the website uses to compensate experts for their work. You will not incur any additional charges. If you're not able to give a 5 star rating, lets continue the chat until you are completely satisfied.