Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I'm having the same problem as others that have posted about…

Customer Question
I'm having the same...

I'm having the same problem as others that have posted about there anti-theft system working and preventing the car from starting. Meaning no spark and no fuel pump, turning on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

No the fuel pump was working perfectly before the anti-theft system activated itself.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

It is a 1998 Mustang SVT Cobra.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, my best friend that has been a mechanic for 15 years is, and this is not the first mustang he has worked on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He had the car running 4 times before the anti-theft system engaged and this was because the car ran out of gas. Also the book states the fuel pressure is supposed to be at least 50PSI and the gauge was only reading 41PSI before the anti-theft engaged. Thanks

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 12 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Does the check engine light illuminate on the cluster with the key on?

May I start by getting any stored codes in the computer?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Thank you!

HeyCustomer
I have a 98 Mustang Cobra and the Anti Theft System is engaged and there is no spark and the fuel pump is not coming on. Yes the Theft light is illuminated on the cluster.

Thank you for that information.

Can you please answer my other two questions?

I can't call you at this time, as I'm at work.
And there were no codes.

Ok,

What about the check engine light?

It is on, and when the key is turned to the start position, the theft light flashes, and the car is turning over. Again no spark, and I pulled the number one plug, and the fuel pump is not cycling meaning no gas is pumping from the tank through the fuel rails.

Got it.

Have you tried using another key?

Are you sure all fuses are good?

there are two keys that have been used for the car since I owned it in 2013, and neither one works, same for both. Additionally, checked all the fuses and all are good.
Hello, I have to go to a meeting. I will have to contact you again later, unless you have an answer now?

I will do some digging and we can continue after your meeting.