Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Ford Explorer. ABS light comes on and off. No flashing.

Customer Question
2003 Ford Explorer. ABS...

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just ABS.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything as yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I would like to fix it myself if it is not too complicated.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

The problem here is when the abs light kicks on it means there is a code stored in the system. Without the code it's difficult to know what the problem is or even where to start looking.

Things you can check before taking it to have the codes read:

Wheel speed sensor harness and connectors. Look for any signs of broken or damaged sensors.

Tone rings. Sometimes the tone rings will crack on these. Make sure there aren't any cracks or that it's so plugged up with rust the sensors cannot read.

Depending on the setup on the truck it will either have 4 sensors or one in the rear differential. You can also check the wiring harness to the abs accumulator for any signs of damage. Once you check all that and if all looks good, you will need to have it scanned to know where to go for the issue. If you do all this though, you will pretty much have done all you can from home to locate the issue.

The truck is safe to drive with the light on, this will not affect the mechanical brakes, just prevent an ABS stop in the event you have to make an emergency stop.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Thanks

You are very welcome!
Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!