Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just checking if you have any ideas what my problem could be…

Customer Question
Hi there, just checking...

Hi there, just checking if you have any ideas what my problem could be I have codes p0345, p0349... I've changed all sensors, vct solenoids, timing chain, and cam phasers, and problem is still present. Car misfiring, hesitates, lack of power, running rough/rattling sound, sometimes rattle sound goes away when clutch is pushed in but all other symptoms remain.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Clutch seems fine, it's about a year old

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Sorry, its a 2008 mustang gt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive redone the timing and changed the chains and guides, changed the vct solenoid, cam and crank sensors, and cam phasers

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Doing it myself

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

How does the oil pressure look?

Sometimes we see these engines with persistent timing codes even after replacement of all timing components because of a weak oil pump. Do you have an oil pressure gauge on your car or just the light?

That looks normal. After replacement of the timing chain parts did it ever run correctly?

No, it didn't, when I changed the cam phaser which was one of the first things I did, it quieted down for maybe 5 min. But then progressively got worse and engine feels like it has no power... (don't know if it's related but two of the plugs I just pulled had oil on them

Those plugs look fairly normal for this engine. They can get a little sludged up. You only replaced one cam phaser?

What brand of phaser and VCT solenoids were used?

I don't remember the brand I bought them online but they weren't ford/motorcraft... I thought maybe it was a bad part but I changed both sides phasers and solenoids but codes are still showing up for bank 2 (drivers side)
I appreciate your help so far, I'm just trying to figure out the problem since it's my only car

We have had a hard time with a couple of the aftermarket brands. They tend to be faulty right out of the box (or a few minutes after starting the engine).

If you still have the two timing codes even after replacing everything I would probably pull the timing cover and make sure the timing is till set correctly and hasn't jumped. Then I would try activating the phasers by hand and see if they are either stuck in one spot or really easy to activate.

Then when everything is timed correctly put it back together using Ford motorcraft VVT solenoids. Any other brand won't work. You can find them on ebay for about $80 for the pair usually.

You pretty much just twist them and make sure they aren't seized on one spot. The cam will rotate a little, the chain will stay in place.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

* Please take time to rate my response- as an expert I don't work directly for Just Answer- any resources I provide to you are furnished at my own personal expense. I only receive compensation based on positive ratings from you. Therefore, I cannot offer my time, insights, advice, diagrams, etc, without that positive rating. If you are unable to positively rate my response please let me know. After rating I will still be available for follow-up questions at no additional charge.

Thanks a lot for all your help already... I just changed the vct solenoid with motorcraft but still have the same issue

The wiring to the solenoids or the timing has to be off. Do you have a scan tool that will show you the timing readout?

I don't have a scan tool... as far as wiring, should I just take it apart and inspect it visually?

Pull both connectors at the VCT solenoids and see if the pins look corroded or bent. Also check the connectors on the cam sensors.

You replaced both cam sensors right?

Also, check your alternator output- how many volts is it putting out?

Checked the connectors they all look fine and alternator was changed recently... one thing I noticed is if I disconnect a pass side coil pack with the car on the car starts losing idle... if i disconnect a drivers side coil pack nothing changes

That's a little strange. Do you have any misfire codes or just the timing codes?

Just timing code p0345, it's the same one that keeps coming up, no misfire codes

What if you swap the cam position sensors from one side to the other?

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician