Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 taurus x has intermittent overheating problem when ac…

Customer Question
2008 taurus x has...

2008 taurus x has intermittent overheating problem when ac is run

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced variable speed fan

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have noticed that the radiator cooling fans shut down during ac on...the only controls i see are the cylinder head temp sensor, PCM and the variable speed control module on fan. The temp gauge in inst cluster seems normal. When fans shut down temp gauge follows

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

The AC pressure sensor is what tells the computer that AC is working and to turn on cooling fans so I would go ahead and replace the ac pressure sensor. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

My my schematics show a evap temp sensor switch but are you referring to the high pressure or low pressure switch?

The fan should come on any time the AC is on so the temp sensor shouldn't cause this. If temp sensor was problem it wouldn't work at any times. Here is a picture of ac pressure sensor, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxk540j3k95pmnd/acps.pdf?dl=0

my schematics to not show this transducer. i will gonow and look at vehicle...robert

Let me know, thanks.

dan i think you refer to the low pressure ac switch. The ac would not come on if defective or showing low pressure. The problem is that the ac is still operating but the radiator cooling fans shut down. During this time the ac head pressure is rising and the the engine temp is rising as well. I think this is what is happening.

You are sure fans come on without ac?

What I am sure is - the ac is running and the radiator variable speed fan is running normally...then all of sudden after heating up I notice that the radiator fan shuts off but the ac is still running and my high side gauge is climbing to infinity

I see, I'll open question back up to see if someone else has some ideas.

thank you
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, follow this TSB and check the color of the evaporator temp sensor.

David, A bit difficult to do. I am trying to match up the wire color of the correct connector. There are connectors up the butt under there. I think I see it .. 2wire connector to right of accelerator but has different colors than my schematic. I will pull the connector and see what color

ok, and i will send you the colors it should be

violet/brown and grey/blue

the wire colors are white/blue and violet/gray - close enough? the sensor is black under the connector

standby

ok, well if indeed thats the correct sensor then the tsb does not apply if its black

so the fans shut off when you turn the ac on?

Interesting...when this overheating occurs, the vent temperature gets warm like the ac is off but it is not...the radiator fan has quit and then comes back on then off. This only happens on very hot days. Twice coolant spewed out of overflow.

ok, I think we need to concentrate on the cooling system. does it overheat without the ac on?

Negative but has only been a couple times.
And it catches me by surprise like it seems everything is fine...
My thought is that - under no circumstance would the fan stop working with AC on - perhaps on very cold days - i don't know the engineering specs. The only control is the variable speed fan contnrol module on the fan which was replaced and the PCM and the CHT sensor! And the sensor is freaking buried as is the PCM

ok, if you can give me 45 minutes to get to my shop i will ig into this further.

Ok David. While you do that I will provide the full history that may be helpful. thanks robert
David, This is not my vehicle. I am a techie type, electrical, electronic, hvac, refrigeration and cars. Larry was recommended to me to replace the variable speed radiator fan assembly. So I figured ok it must be broke and that was that. A couple weeks later Larry calls and said coolant spewed out of car ( i assume overflow since everything was clean with some splash marks around the Degas bottle area). I replaced thermostat added about a gallon of coolant and tested and tested but would not over heat. Larry came by and it became clear that this was an ongoing problem he could not get fixed. As he was leaving, after the car idled with the AC on for a long time on a very hot humid day, Larry noticed the ac vent air was not not cool. I opened the hood and noticed the ac was operating, high side line very hot but the radiator fan had stopped. This happened twice but I did not personally ever see the overflow of coolant...and blah, blah blah and here we are today. I think it is a fan/ac problem. I would consider monitoring the CHT sensor but it is buried under the manifold. I would monitor the CHT sensor at the PCM but it is buried also. Might even be a PCM problem, i am thinking.
I verified the ac was running by also looking at the compressor and clutch

ok, have you put an acmanifold guge set on it?

also does the condenser fan come on as soon as you turn on the ac?

Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Senior Master Tech replied 8 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Senior Master Tech
Phone call session started

also the evap temp sensor wiring is violet/brown and blue gray. so you were looking at the wrong sensor

hows it going?

Hello David - I am working right now but curious as to where we are. I received a phone call from san francisco and it was recommended to replace the fan assembly again. What's up with the sensor? Thanks robert
I can see the evap sensor location but not sure exactly where that is. Do I need to remove covers? I was told the sensor was just to the right of the accelerator.
Dave if we fix this, I will request you again. I have another issue to solve. Thanks Robert...going back to work on Jeep.

heres the sensor

dave, I do no have the vehicle tonight but that sure likes the sensor that I checked even though the wire color code is different whte/blue and violet/gray...hmmm.

every diagram I have show the wire colors are not what you describe.

My schematics agree with you but that is not what I saw at what appears to be the same location. If I remember correctly one is white with blue stripe and I am rather certain is white not gray. The second wire was violet with a gray stripe. Maybe I am color blind but I took several looks at it. Makes me want to take another look.

Ill opt out to see if anyone else can shed some light on this one.

Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician