Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Anti-theft system is preventing me from starting vehicle.

Customer Question
Anti-theft system is preventing...

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

97 explorer sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just bought it drove it to the gas station to get gas and it won't start back up for me. I really haven't tried anything other than looking for the anti theft module

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 8 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

Since you stuc in gas station ,lets try a master reset first and we go from there

because if that doesn not work we need factory or capable scaner to retrieve fault codes from anti thetf module and pull up poin point triubleshoot ,so many differnet issue it could be ,from key , to key transmitter, secutiy module, door switches etcc, with out that we will be guessing and you end up throwing parts at it

you can always scan it and post fault codes back to me

but for now make sure you have a good 12 volt battery and do below reset

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Read below how to get back in touch with me

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

That did not work? What do I do?
Unfortunately without a capable scaner to read it and get the fault codes and post these fault codes back to me and I can help you further
There is no fuse or relay to pull out to disable it, it runs thru car computer ,with these fault codes we will be guessing
Now the the antitheft module is common issue on them and if it does need replacing will require programing ,I m not next to it and no codes to go by ,I m sorry
There is no way we can just disconnect it?

The key has to send a signal to the anti theft module then that module send a signal to car computer to authorize start up ,now if you pay the $100 scan fee using capable scanner and get the fault code we can fix , it could be a antenna or receiver issue around $200 fix ,now if the module needs replacing around $500 with programing , keys need programmed $100 ,

so it depends but trust me there is no way to by pass it if there was I would tell you

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat