Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 escape. I have been having issues starting it.

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 2010 escape. I have been having issues starting it. All accessories come on and car wont start. Antitheft light flashes. I googled this and read about problems with the immobilizer. I took it to dealer and explained this to them. They are telling me that my Ford remote start is causing this problem and it will cost over $400 to repair. This does not sound right to me. I asked why they are not separate. They told me that they cannot fix the immobilzer issue without replacing this remote start. They have had the vehicle for almost a week and really have been pushing the replacement on me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

It is the red antitheft light and quick blinking

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is at dealer service now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

They told me last week it was a heater circuit and replaced that. The next day it would not start again. Thats when i googled this liggt. There is a you tube video that shows this exactly as my vehicle is doing. It was doing this for a day or 2 before i even used the remote start (which i did to rule out an key/ignition issue) and i get the same behavior. I really feel that it is not the remote start, but the dealer said they cannot address the immobilizer without replacing this.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The PAT's transceiver is the most common failure.It reads the key and allows starting and this will fail causing the issue here.The remote start also uses signals from the transceiver to allow remote starting but if the transceiver itself is at fault it will cause this issue.

If they have not checked/tested to see if this is the only component at fault needing replaced this does need to be done.There should be at least one code set that will help them diagnose the fault that they should have retrieved with their scan tool or computer.If you can get this code this will help me here.

But the transceiver is the most common cause.

If they did test this properly it is also possible the remote start control unit or another ecu tied into the remote start is the cause needing replaced but I would make sure they read out the codes.If they still insist it needs replaced ask them what guarantee they offer that this will correct the issue.This way if it does not will they cover the costs or help with the costs for the false repair or for rediagnosing and repairing again.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician