Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Got a 07 f250 6.0 powerstroke. I've got a p2290 code and I…

Customer Question
Got a 07 f250...

Got a 07 f250 6.0 powerstroke. I've got a p2290 code and I can't figure it out. At cold starts it idles up really slow. But with warm it doesn't do that. When I get on it. It skips and loses power?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It comes and goes. So yes it fluctuates.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes that I am. Before all this I had a bad injector. I replaced it and then. My engine oil cooler was getting plugged up and it has a new now. Then I swapped out IPC and the ipr. Just did a oil change on it like 1000 miles ago. I thought it could be that. It wasnt.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I have it on a 65 hp tow setting it runs good but when I turn it all the way up o performance. That's when it does this stuff. I am running a Fass fuel system too.

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 12 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The causes for this issue are posted below.There is also a diagnostic flow chart procedure that needs to be followed to pinpoint the component at fault needing replaced or repaired.I would follow the chart below with the testing to locate which component is causing this issue needing repaired or replaced.This may be a low fuel rail pressure fault due to a fault with the pump or possibly another injector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/729t1irnakh057g/p-09-20.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld4df3bnpweso7f/p0-09-20.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

It's between fuel pressure or high pressure oil leak. What's the good fuel pressure and also good hpop pressure? This is an 07 6.0 powerstroke in a 04 chassis. It's been studded and deleted. I haven't took apart to see if it's been upgraded to the blue spring yet. If it hasn't been upgraded. Will it pop up with p2290 code and cause these issues that I'm having?

I show low side pressure at 60 psi.Engine running 45 to 55 psi which is running low pressure.You dont want to go below 40 psi or this damages the injectors and you need to drive it to observe the pressure to see if it drops when under load.My info is not showing the HPOP pressure.Usually this is monitored with a scan tool to see if actual and desired pressures are met.If the low pressure is dropping you may have injector issues here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete