Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

09 Escape 3.0 engine. The battery light comes on I tested…

09 Escape 3.0 engine. The...
09 Escape 3.0 engine. The battery light comes on I tested the charging system and all came up good except I noticed that when I reved up the engine, the voltage went up to 16.54v. At an idle with lights, fan, wipers on it still has 14.25 battery volts. Regulator???? Is the regulator part of the alternator or part of the ECM on this vehicle? The tester I have tells me diodes are good etc. It did not pick up the over voltage as at the time the batt light was not on and the high voltage was just a flash and back down again and then the batt light came on
9/19/2017
Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin is battery light on all the time of only when the 16 vokts is present ?

The battery light was not on when I drove it into the shop or when I did my initial test. When I restarted the vehicle to confirm that I did see 16+ volts the light came on and was on when the voltage was that high. The high voltage seems to be a spike and then comes down but still seems high (14.5-14.7) even at an idle and yes the light was on at that time. I apologize for the delay. I have terrible internet today

No problem .the regulator is part of the alternator and is the most likely cause .the voltage is way too high

Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic