Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

4wd will not engage nor will the lights change. I have

Customer Question
4wd will not engage...

4wd will not engage nor will the lights change. I have changed get the switch actuator solenoid s. Still no luck. I noticed 1 post that it could be a vaccuum problem. When I accelerate the acc changes to defrost. Could this be a vaccuum problem. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

4wd selector switch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

200e ford f150 supercrew cab

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F150?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed the actuator, solenoid and switch. Yes I am trying to fix it myself

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 11 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

If when you are acellerating and the ac air changes to blowing out the defrost, then you do have insufficient vacuum on reserve. This will also effect the 4wd.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

The vacuum reseviour has a check valve and the resivour should hold vacuum. It is located next to the battery. The first place to look would be at the vacuum hoses around the reseviour for any signs of damage, or hoses that are not connected. I think there is a vacuum line for the 4x4 on the passenger side of the engine near the pcm.

I noticed 1 black hose that appears to be a vaccuum line. It's in the harness for the 4wd. It's not connected and I cannot seem to find where it would go. All the lines to the solenoid are. Connected. Would low vaccuum not allow switch to activate

Yes that is correct. Low vacuum would not allow the 4x4 actuator to engage and also cause the switching to defrost.

Thanks. I will check it out tomorrow. You have been a great help

Your welcome. Note that after rating this chat session, it will remain open for follow up questions you may have on this. Thanks.

Any idea where the extra black hose may connect?

Its hard for me to recall from memory. can you take a photo of it and upload it?