Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I got a 2000 ford ranger xlt 4.0 4x4. it has the confirmed…

Customer Question
I got a 2000...

I got a 2000 ford ranger xlt 4.0 4x4. it has the confirmed codes P0122, P0300, P1151 and the pending code P1152. She runs ruff sometime with no power and then she will sudenly run right for a bit

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

What do you mean

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

V fluctuate

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am ive tried changed the 02 ive cleaned the maf and replaced the tps

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

And i've tried spraying brake cleaner on the hoses to try and find a vac leak and can't find anything

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
9/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 9 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, the P0122 is still there after replacing the throttle position sensor and clearing the codes? Has the upper intake manifold been removed?

when i had my cylinder head on bank 2 replaced

Ok, did these codes start up after having the head replaced? are these issues after a recent repair? Or how long ago was the one head changed? Valve issue with the bad hewad or an overheat?

the head was changed least winter and the codes have been the same sense. it hasn't overheated since the head was replaced

Ok, the TP sensor code can be due to a wiring problem since the engine was partially disassembled. It may or may not be a visible issue with the wiring harness. First thing to do would be to trace the wiring from the throttle position sensor back to the PCM for any signs of being pinched, chafed, not routed properly. Make any visible wiring repairs as needed. A scan tool will need to be used to monitor the TP sensor input to see if it is reading correctly or not. Then a resistance check of the wirng from the PCM to the TP sensor would be done to rule out any bad wiring before condemning a PCM, which would need to be programmed by a dealer and 2 PATS ignition keys reflashed when replaced if needed. I would suspect a small vacuum leak for the P1151/1152 codes. They are common to leak at the EGR valve inlet tube going into the upper intake manifold if equipped. Otherwise a smoke test of the intake system should be done and monitor the inputs of the short fuel trims when spraying carb cleaner around the upper and lower intake while running to see if it registers any vacuum leaks. The MAF can be an issue even if its clean. The BARO input should be around 158 hertz if its reading correctly. if it drops down under accel, there is a problem with one of the catalytic convertors.