Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2008 6.4 powerstroke has a minor leak on back of engine....

Looking in the hole in...
2008 6.4 powerstroke has a minor leak on back of engine.... Looking in the hole in bottom of tranny the ring gear and back of engine under seal looks dry. top of engine seems dry too all the way to the back. But the tranny bell housing is damp all the way around close to the joint to engine. What can be leaking??
9/18/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Click on link to view pdf file to view exploded diagram of engine ,look at #27 , is this where the elak is .

is it engine oil or transmission fluid ?

2008 Super Duty V8-6.4L DSL Turbo

Save Article

Parts Information OEM Part #Price

Rear Crankshaft Main Bearing Seal

27 - Rear Main Seal

Part # 3C3Z6701B $60.15

Labor Information

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

It's dark and brown and seems to have engine oil viscosity to it so I think it's engine oil. With a mirror stuck into the hole in tranny inspec plug, the bottom of #28 in picture you sent looks dry inside the housing. flywheel is dry too. I was supecting the rear seal but it was replaced recently and seems to look dry...

in between the engine and trans we have rear main or trans pump seal .

take the dust cover off in between to see better if u have not already ,make sure back of head or rear valve cover gasket leaking and working itself inside in between , use a flash light to see better

I did unplug the dust plug... used a mirror and a light...Is there a chance the cover is cracked? Does that ever happen? Looked behind the heads and looks clean up there..

i have seen it cracked BUT FROM BEATING THE COVER WHEN REMOVE & REPLACING THE SEAL , BUT NOT COMMON ON ITS OWN TO BE HONEST

DID YOU TRY LETTING RUN AND GET TO OPERATING TEMP AND CHECK THEN

replaced seal and went on as normal... no hard hitting on cover... went on as nice as I've ever done a seal.... Guy put on prob a 1000 miles and oil still is on ok on dipstick, he never added oil... just a very minor leak but he doesn't like it.

ok so we are not losing oil in 100 miles , hate to ask is it possible excess oil from last time

is it seeping not pouring ?

if you are not losing oil in 1000 miles i would not touch it until it gets worse and keep watching it

until it get worse so you are not throwing part at it will be my opinion on it

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat

Thank You For The Rating :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat