Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Loud noise coming from air conditioner near belt, around ac…

Customer Question
Loud noise coming from...

Loud noise coming from air conditioner near belt

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?

Around ac pulley

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2002 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am to old

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron Z., - Ford Tech - replied 11 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

-May I have the engine size in your vehicle?

-Can you try and describe the noise a little? Is it a squeal? A rattle? A screech?

ford f150 2003 small 8 im not sure of the litre size
a screech

Ok. Great. Thank-you. Please hold one moment while I type out some info for you. it tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

From what you are describing here, it sounds like the A/C Compressor Clutch has failed. This is actually a fairly common wear-and-tear fail item. You can check this by removing the serpentine belt and spinning the A/C compressor pulley by hand listening for any sort of noises. Grab the A/C pulley and try to shake it in-and-out. Any movement here is a sign the clutch has failed. On this vehicle, the clutch can be replaced without the need to replace the entire compressor. The compressor will need to be removed and replaced on the bench. The clutch kit sells for aroun d $79 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 1.4 hours to complete the job. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

I am from ontario
now in loudonville ohio
i have no tools with me to fix the problem and would not know what to do
There is a garage in loudonville and i can drive there

I have posted my reply above- scroll up to read that reply.

You "can" drive the vehicle if the noise has just recently started. I would recommend that you have it serviced as soon as possible. Over time, the compressor clutch will eventually seize, which will cause damage to the belt and result in the water pump not working, the alternator not working and the power steering not working.

I think it needs a new pulley
can you estimate the cost

I provided the estimate in the first reply I sent. Please scroll up to view that reply.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Are you seeing all my replies correctly? Did you need me to re-post them for you?

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.