Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Won't start turn over but start. It was blowing the PCM fuse…

Won't start turn over...

Won't start turn over but start. It was blowing the PCM fuse fix that problem still won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

97 ford ranger 2.3L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replace batties, alternator and fuel pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its doing the same thing it was doing when it was blowing the PCM fuse it would start drive a day or two den stop and would start back

9/18/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

How did you fix the blown fuse problem?

Just kept replace it
No thanks
Is that it?

Does check engine light come on for bulb check when first turning key to on position?

Automatic or manual transmission?

Automatic

Is the anti theft light flashing? Can you hear the fuel pump activate?

There's no anti-theft light but I can heat the fuel pump.

Remove the starter interrupt relay and jump pin 1 to pin 3, let me know if that allows it to start.

I will have to do all this tomorrow morning; its 12:30 a.m check everything tomorrow.

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks.

Try testing the volt relay on the drive side fender truck turn over but won't start.

Do you have a scan tool to check for codes? It sounds like there is something more serious going on such as failed PCM or wiring to PCM.

No I don't have a scanning tool but did test the PCM socket or spot with a multimeter one side rate good.

Next step is checking power/grounds at the PCM and if both are good I'd have PCM replaced. Here is a connector diagram to help find proper pins to test. Let me know if you have questions or run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aha5ulg1nurw6ac/pcmcd.pdf?dl=0

Dan, Technician
Dan, Technician