Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1997 econoline. The starter was stuck running. We

turned the van off, and...
I have a 1997 econoline. The starter was stuck running. We turned the van off, and the unit would not start. Replaced the starter, and no to starter relay. Jumped starter relay and unit would crank and start. Removed starter relay and bench tested it, it was no good. Replaced faulted starter relay, and unit will crank and start with jumper wire to starter relay. No power to starter relay exciter wire. Please advise.
9/17/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

I'm a professional tech, just new to cars.

with the continuous start condition you may have cooked a wire, I would follow the signal wire and see if there is any damage to it. There is also a inline fusible link that may have blown, they have the location listed as 12 gauge gray at starter motor relay, there is a A and B link

The starter circuit from the relay to the starter is good. There is no power on the red and blue wire to the starter relay.
With key in the start position.

so check fuse 34 in dash panel, if its ok check power at park neutral position switch on trans, white pink should have power going in on and 10 red blue power going out

Thank you. I'll when I get to the house. I'm helping my disabled dad write now. I'll get with you in a couple of hours.

sounds good ! let me know if you run into any snags

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
For sure.
Very nice Shawn. When the starter mag switch went it popped the fuse. Thanks for your help.
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician