Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My power steering has gone out. first it went out to the…

Customer Question
My power steering has...

My power steering has gone out. first it went out to the left of straight then both ways.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Its total and complete now. when it first started it just up and went out completly everything to the left.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1992 f150 with the 300 straight 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. i try to do all my own work. that way i cant yell at anyone if its screwed up. i bought a used pump from a salvage yard no change. Im thinking i got a bad pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was going on line to find pump and gearbox but thought i would make sure what was wrong before I started throwing money around.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 11 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

can you see the fluid circulating in the resevoir?

I could not tell. I looked in to see if it was throwing foam but did not see any.
I have already paid $28 and have not gotten anything but one question. I think I will stick with typing.

sorry about that that is site automated ignore the requests..

it sounds like you are on the correct path sounds like pump failure and either steering box is bad or the ball joints are frozen... i would jack the frt end and disconnect the tie rods from the knuckles to see if the frt suspebion pivots or if the ball joints are seized...if the ball joint allow the frt end to pivot free then steering box and pump is the answer

not long after everything to the left went out then everything to the right followed. would ball joints cause loss to one side of center?

as the seize it makes the steering bind...

Ok. thank you. i will check those before throwing money at parts i may not need. thanks again.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
John S

be glad to give you pos feed once I see if info pans out.

sure

any luck

Just getting home from work. Have not had a chance to crawl under it yet. But I will after dinner, come rain or shine. Not much chance of shine being as its 8:45 pm. Unless its moonshine. Lol.

lol good luck

All is good.
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 10 months ago

then its box and pump