Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Stuck in Park with dead battery 2010 Fusion, Can not open…

Customer Question
Stuck in Park with...

Stuck in Park with dead battery 2010 Fusion

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Can not open hood

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took off trim around shifter per the owner's manual and I can not locate the brake release part by the shifter.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
9/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so your just trying to get it out of park for towing?

Well if I can get the hood open I can put my battery charger on it. The front of the car is touching a wall right now.

oh that makes sense let me see if I can get you a better diagram for the park release

OK
It's neither of these. My car's shifter does not allow you to manually change gears as the shifters in these drawings show. I can see a silver metal piece move down when I press the release of the shifter knob but it looks like it needs to go down another 3/8". I put downward pressure on it with a screw driver and it will not move further down,
Am I looking for a metal or plastic piece?
When I pull the hood release inside the car the hood doesn't release at all. I know it's a 2 step process. I don't want to pull any harder for fear of breaking something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYS_huUWwDU heres a video on that and with the hood you may have to have someone pull on hood while you pull on release as sometimes the hood gets stuck, and when you do get all of this going do not charge battery with terminals connected as that will cause more problems, remove negative then positive and install positive then negative

I think we hit a dead end.

no luck?

Got the hood open now having trouble removing the Neg battery connection. Backed the nut way out what's the next step?
I can see that the connector over the Neg terminal is not as wide as the top of the battery terminal. Do you have to spread it open with something? What's best to use?

you should just be able to wiggle the terminal, and it will come out, you may have something goofy on there can you send a picture of the terminal ?

Got it off just took some muscle. How long should I charge the battery? What will I need to reset once it's recharged and connected?

if its tottaly dead I would charge it on 2 amp all night atleast, the other questions is why is it dead and how old is the battery

I think I left something on while gone for a week. Battery is 3 years old. What will I need to reset once I charge and reconnect?

that would just be your radio stations and clock, the normal stuff, and if its 3 years old you can have it tested and charged at the local auto parts store for free

hows it coming?