Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford escape hybrid intermittent no start, now it wont start…

Customer Question
Ford escape hybrid intermittent no...
Ford escape hybrid intermittent no start, now it wont start at all.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
Hello is anyone going to answer?
Can you please give my question to Chris
Answered in 2 days by:
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 9 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, I see its been a day since you requested Chris. do you still prefer to deal with Chris or would you like me to help?

I will take any help I can get

Is it a TBCM code or TCM P0A0A code? Whats going on with the vehicle operation, wont charge, doesnt run? dies?

it is a tcm code see my initial question for what the vehicle is doing
Ok did you run through the pinpoint test for that code that lead you to replace that harness or do you need the pinpoint test?
I want to know what could be causing the meps pump not to run unless I jumped the circuit
Ok. Give me a little bit to get back to a computer I can review and send the proper testing and schematic information. I'm leaving work here shortly and will get back to you in a couple of hours. Thank you for your patience

Ok im attaching the pinpoint test for the diagnostic trouble code to verify that repair since you said its still setting this code.

Motor Electronics Cooling System (MECS)

The vehicle uses a pump driven cooling system, referred to as the Motor Electronics Cooling System (MECS) pump, to transfer heat generated by the Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (eCVT) and the Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) DC/DC converter to the atmosphere. The system uses a coolant-to-air radiator design.

The MECS pump is an electric pump that runs any time the ignition is in the ON position. Unlike traditional cooling systems, there is no thermostat in the MECS , so coolant flow should be continuous and considerably less than traditional powertrain cooling systems.

The flow direction is from the degas bottle and DC/DC converter to the MECS pump through the eCVT , then through the MECS radiator from the LH to RH side of the vehicle back to the degas bottle.

The MECS cooling pump will make an audible noise if it is running and a slight vibration may be felt by touch. Flow can be verified by visually inspecting for coolant flow into the degas bottle. Only a portion of the coolant flow is diverted to the degas bottle via the "T" in the coolant outlet hose.

Attached also is a symptom chart pinpoint test A for the MECS pump. It should run all the time. So its a question if the TCM code is affecting the operation of the MECS pump. If you have a code stored, that needs to be run through first and get that fault to pass.

I will check as much as I can with a volt meter and let you know what I come up with. I think its something in the inertia circuit or a bad pcm

Very good, thats all the testing information for the code itself and to test the pump circuit directly. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above and leave a positive rating.

Do you have the wiring diagrams referred to in the test
I don't see the meps pump

Do you need more help with this concern?

I will respond as soon as I can complete the pinpoint test

Ok just be careful working on the high voltage system.

Thank you for your patience, A7 of the MEPS test, tells me to repair the circuit. I am not a mechanic and I have no idea how to repair it.

If there is a problem with the wiring, when they say repair the circuit, that means to overlay a new circuit. What are you reading in this test step? A short to ground or an open circuit? You are testing the ground.

You should show less than 5 ohms, a path to ground. If there is no ground, splice a ground wire from the black wire on that connector to ground and see if the pump runs.

I had already cleaned and reconnected the groubd. I pump runs if I jump 30 and 87.

If it doesnt have a good ground it shouldnt run. 30 and 87 are the switch side of the relay. The PCM grounds the coil side of the relay to close the relay and complete the circuit on the relay on those 2 pins. So if the pcm isnt grounding the relay its not sending power to the pump. When you jump it, the ground is ok, so its looking like an issue with the pcm not grounding the circuit for some reason.

You have to run through the P0A0A code to make sure this isnt part of the problem and to make sure no other codes are stored.

No not yet

They always tell you to go after codes first, then any other issues. Even thought its a different system, it can have a cause/effect. thats assuming you dont have other codes stored. Sme codes being a hybrid may be manufacturer specific/propriatery. Meanin a dealer or high end scan tool needs to be used to run full diagnostics, some engine and transmission codes are this way. An example of a ford propriatery code is P1741. The digit 1 after the P is a Ford manufacturer code that requires a high end scan tool to read the code, a generic code reader will not show it.

I have been using scanguage to read the codes. I took it to a dealer originally because it was a no start they wanted 300 just to push it inside

Yeah, that might not be reading all the diagnostic trouble codes. But that is all the information I can gie you base don the information you have given me for the one code and for the mecs pump. You probably need to have a better scan tool used on this to make sure you are getting all the fault codes, especially being a hybrid.