Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 Ford Escape. Tried to give someone a jump, my car was…

Customer Question
2010 Ford Escape. Tried...

2010 Ford Escape. Tried to give someone a jump, my car was running. Hooked up negative terminal, no other terminal was connected on either car and my car shut down. I am in Bulgaria, assigned to the us embassy so I might have to do this on my own. The car would turn over but not start. Odd the only gauge that wouldn't register anything was fuel and I had gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It doesn't start right now and no vehicle ran perfect before this. Was owned by a navy Seabee who took excellent care of it. Only 70k on engine which is a v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. Tried to start it. Battery was strong it just wouldn't catch, had it towed to the embassy. Will get embassy mechanic to look at it but he is Bulgarian not us trained so looking for assistance

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 11 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Does the check engine light turn on in the instrument cluster when the key is turned to on?

all lights turn on as normal, only outlier is the fuel gauge doesn't move. Embassy mechanic has a system code analyzer on his iPad and can check the system but that won't be till tomorrow.

Looks like the problem might be in the instrument cluster itself. Check and see if the RED THEFT light is flashing rapidly when you try to start the engine.

Nothing was flashing. It was like the car was fine except for the fuel. Did you read how it started?

Are you sure it had fuel to the engine?

I would have all the modules, especially the instrument cluster checked for trouble codes first. The problem could be in the cluster or the PCM (Engine Computer).

Not fuel as I added 10 liters in addition to the 40 miles I had left on the tank. Why would a jumper cable cause this? What is with the instrument cluster? Do you think I shorted my computer brain! All I did was attach a neg cable with nothing else attached nor any other battery. Could it be the anti theft?

It is hard to say without testing the modules in the vehicle. Your 2010 Escape has 12 modules in it. If you connected to the negative post of the battery, I doubt that was the cause. But if you connected to the positive post and the other cable touched metal ground, damage is possible.