EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

My F150 has about 140000 miles and when I was driving the

My F150 has about 140000 miles and when I was driving the other night it went into fail safe cooling mode and I noticed coolant was venting from the reservoir cap. I turned off truck and everything returned to normal except the Service Engine Soon indicator was lit. The OBD code was P1299. I then had the radiator checked and had the thermostat, hoses and reservoir replaced but it still happens.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: p1299
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What year is your F150?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. See my earlier reply for what has been done.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

May I have the engine size in this vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
4.6L

THe p1299 indicates that the vehicle went into a failsafe mode due to overheating being detected. These engines do have problems with the cylinder head temp sensor where it indicates overheating when it actually may not be. But if you feel the engine is actually overheating, then you may have a radiator or headgasket issue causing the overheat.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am overheating because coolant is coming out of the reservoir when this happens. The radiator hoses, thermostat and reservoir were replaced yesterday and it still happens.

Ok. Coolant comes out of the reseviour when you have a headgasket failure which is letting combustion gasses get into the cooling system and causing the pressure to rise and the coolant to come out. THere are a couple checks you can try to do before condemning the headgaskets. You can do a block check, which tests for combustion gasses in the coolant. And you can also pressurize the cooling system and see if the pressure goes down and then remove the plugs to check for coolant in the cylinders. There are a few other tests as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have an OBD tester and when I checked it last it had P1299 and then also P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). Is the P0301 because of the fail safe cooling mode or can this cause overheating.

P0301 does not have to set with the p1299. That could be a cylinder that has an issue with the headgasket and a misfire may be being detected. If I was to look around I would concentrate on that cylinder first.

A cylinder misfire will not cause you to overheat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When the reservoir was changed they did a pressure check (at the reservoir cap) and the pressure was constant. Is this where you were talking about doing a pressure check?

Yes that is one test that can be done. SHould really let it sit overnight and check for a pressure loss. This is not conclusive but just 1 of several things that can indicate a headgasket failure.

EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience: 20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. I'll see what happens and I may have some follow-up questions. Thanks very much.

Ok. A block test is the most reliable to check for combustion gasses in the coolant. And also if when running you can see a lot bubbles keep going into the coolant is another indicator. Can be purchased at an auto part store.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What can be purchased?

A block tester.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks like you use the block tester on the fill opening of the reservoir, correct?

Yes. But the coolant level needs to be lowered because if coolant gets in the tester it changes the cooler of the fluid instantly. So lower the coolant down a few inches.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Perfect. Thanks.