Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

On my 1999 F 250 SD 7.3 L, the engine runs erratically and…

Customer Question
On my 1999 F...

On my 1999 F 250 SD 7.3 L, the engine runs erratically and RPM is 800 - 1200, first replaced CMP(first code to display P0340: Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction(cheap enough to replace). Also codes P0603: PCM long term memory reset(from info I resourced on 1999 PCM is pre-program at factory, due to location between driver wheel well and firewall, just disconnected both batteries to reinitialize) and P1211: injection control pressure not controllable(pressure above or below normal. If I smash fuel pedal to floor it acts like its going to work correctly, then erratic again. Also at start of issue I drained fuel/water separator, added new fuel filter, added water treatment to recently filed fuel tank(thought bad fuel at first) the engine is still running the same. The repair manual(Haynes) I am using does not even mention about the IDM: injector driver module. Is the IDM going to be the next logical step in correcting my problem? I can give events that lead up to my problem. pulling about 3 tons on trailer, trailer brakes gave out coming down mountain, the more I used the truck brakes, the more it pushed the truck around, turned overdrive off and let motor and truck brake together slow my decent, overdrive off light started to blink at bottom of mountain, trans temp read 290 degrees, pulled over and left running to cool down tranny, other then overdrive off light blinking, the truck was running right, after about 15 minutes the motor stalled and would not run, that is when I thought it was a fuel issue, after draining and replacing filter and adding water treatment it did start, engine running erratic. try to drive tuck(no trailer) to check if trans was the cause, overdrive light no longer blink and when I smashed the pedal it took off, trans has no immediate issue. now you know very thing I know.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?

If under drive is selected the light stays on steady, all problem codes are listed in first communication

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Ford?

F 250 SD regular cab, full box, no XL or model type

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

First replaced CMP(first code to display P0340: Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction(cheap enough to replace)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can you see the first info I laid out, gave full story from then to now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Step one is to get that trans oil out. It is cooked and no longer good. That additives have been burnt off and that will soon cause the transmission to fail. Odds are there are coast clutch related codes too. We may be able to save the trans for now with just a fluid service. From what I gather the remaining codes after the repairs are the ICP pressure one. Remove the IPR and see if it is clogged with debris. So far there is no indication an IDM replacement is needed.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician