Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Having trouble over heating / new radiator /themostat / new…

Customer Question
Having trouble over heating...

Having trouble over heating / new radiator /themostat / new dual fans /

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Checked hoses used 50/50 new to fill top hose hot when running

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '50 Ford?

1997 ford expedition 4/4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything is newexcept waterpump not leaking

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 11 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. when the engine is up to operating temp are the upper and lower hoses EQUALLY ht?

didn't check the bottom hose was told top hose hot water citculating
didn't check bottom hoses replace hose before
you still with me

need to check bottom hose or nothing else matters as far as a diagnosis

its very important that they be the same temp

how do I know water pump working right

thats one way of telling

what would that be

if the lower hose isnt hot

are you with the vehicle?

when do the dual electric fans should kick on
when should I change water pump if its not dripping and the top hose hot

standby please im helping 3 people at once. thanks

the radiator fan should come on around 223 degrees

are you with the vehicle right now?

its night time have to check it out in the morning

ok, Ill be here.

checked both hoses both equally hot ran truck again overheated again installed new themastat could it be bad or is water pump bad
david you still with me need truck to go to work tomorrow

if both hoses are equally hot, its not the thermostat. have you bled the air out of the system?

How do you do that

make sure the system is full, leave the cap off. start sqeezing the upper hose until no more bubbles or air pockets comes out. fill it up again and repeat the procedure.

I'm going to due it now take some time

ok

it didn't work after I removed air as directed ran truck and overheated about the same time it took before

no visible leaks?

are you losing coolant?

no level stays same until when it overheats

ok, you need to have a block test done. if the block test is ok. then replace the waterpump.

I'm sure I lost some during trying to find out
you think the themostat sticking

no, I dont, if the upper hose gets hot every time the thermostat is fine

whats the resolution running out of answers
going to go get more 50/50 antifreeze be back

again, you need to have a block test done. if the block test is ok. then replace the waterpump.

how do you test the block and where can you get that done and would it be cheaper to replace water pump than the test
where would you recommend to get pump Napa
I went to auto store and bought a new water pump and thermostat the old pump and thermostat looked all right was no play in waterpump and rotated smooth I reinstalled new pcs back in truck and tested and let it run it never got hot the temp gage never came up didn't have chance to take down the road yet I seen the block check and decided to try this first ill know tomorrow when I take a long ride still need help with electric fans I wired up maybe too

ok, sounds good. I hope its all good for you. I just dont like to see people pay for something and it is not the problem, thats why I suggested he block test first, but maybe you got it.

Thanks talk to you later with update

ok my friend

hows it going?