Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought a 2002 Ford Thunderbird with both a convertible and…

Customer Question
I bought a 2002...

I bought a 2002 Ford Thunderbird with both a convertible and hardtop. The hardtop has two screws that are tightened up to hold down the front of the hardtop. The owner did not have the original tool, which in the videos looks like a screwdriver. Where can I get a tool like this or is there a size of screwdriver I can use. It looks like a star screwdriver.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried a star screwdriver and it worked okay, but it slips out as it gets tight.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't want to strip the top of the screw as it is is permanently in the top and it would likely be difficult to replace.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 11 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is not a normal Torx bit on the end of the tool, it has different spacing, the original tool must be used, ford haqs discontinued this tool, but you can get them online for about 30 dollars, would you like a like to one of these?

Where can I get it?

here is a link to one on Ebay, it is only 19 dollars and has free shipping,Tim

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiJosOrt6zWAhWBfH4KHV4KBDAYABACGgJwYw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD26oVWmTWk5bnIl7FJ5qh0&sig=AOD64_0N1zoPfqMbZXA53bcHo1HrwW_ytQ&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjz976rt6zWAhVS4WMKHRSMBhQQ0QwIeg&adurl=

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,thanks,Tim