Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1991 Ford F-150 4.9 liter inline 6 with a 4 speed manual…

Customer Question
My 1991 Ford F-150 4.9...
My 1991 Ford F-150 4.9 liter inline 6 with a 4 speed manual transmission will start just fine by jumping the solenoid, even with a wrench. The battery test good, starter works, put in a new clutch interlock switch and ignition switch. I turn the key on and all lights work, key works, but when I turn the key over nothing happens. I'm fairly certain the only thing that hasn't tested to be working is the wire from ignition to solenoid, but would love any help.
Bummer is that this problem started while the mechanic had my truck... Anybody know why my key won't start my truck, when it bump starts and solenoid starts just fine? The mechanic started it by the solenoid and didn't attempt to jump the battery (just thought of that). Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 8 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

You are right it could be the wire from the ignition switch to the relay. But it could also be the rod in the steering column that pushes on the ignition switch. If you remove the ignition switch and manually move it to the start position will the truck crank?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

I believe the rod is working because I can feel the firm resistance of the newer ignition switch when I turn the key. I will attempt to pull it off the collumn and get back to you here, thank you!

Ok sounds good.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician