Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Wiper motor not functioning. Yesterday it would work on the…

Customer Question
Wiper motor not functioning...

Wiper motor not functioning. Yesterday it would work on the high speed setting only. Today I have no power at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 F350. 7.3 power stroke

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Fixing myself. Wondering if it could be a relay issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Separate issue. 625,000 miles on this engine. Does not like to start in the cold, and it doesn't have to be very cold. Just had a high pressure oil pump installed last week.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 8 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Did you actually check for power to the wiper motor with the switch on using a test light or a voltmeter?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

No I have not checked for power at the motor yet. I did replace the motor several years ago and it solved the issue. Would the relay possibly be the issue and how do I check that?

In theory, yes. The relay or relays could be faulty. There are two of them located in the battery junction box.

However, real world experience has been that the relays are not the issue.

You can certainly replace them if you wish.

wiper washer motor is functioning. I can hear the relay click when I rotate the wiper switch to high speed. Let's switch gears. Have had trouble with this truck starting in the cold since it got in the 300k mile range. Was told that the high pressure oil pump may need to be replaced, which I had done. 57 degrees this morning and the truck needed to be plugged in for a half hour to get it to start. Thoughts?

I don't have much experience with diesel engines. Unfortunately, I would not be much help there.

If you would like to continue diagnosing this electrical issue on your wipers, we may.

Otherwise, I can leave this question open for diesel experts.

You able to transfer me?

Yes sir.

I will do that right now.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician