Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 escape seems have problems starting once fuel hits 1/2…

Customer Question
2001 escape seems have...

2001 escape seems have problems starting once fuel hits 1/2 a tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

By putting a couple of gallons of gas, STARTS

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

So it won't start at all below 1/2 a tank or just starts harder?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not all, was thinking fuel pump but not now

It can indicate an issue with the fuel pump, is it an awd model or fwd?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
AWD 3.0

Thank you. I have an idea what might be happening here, I just need a couple minutes to confirm it.

Please stand by.

Having some issues confirming this, but, Lift the rear seat and see if there are 2 covers over the gas tank. I think they use what we call a saddle tank. It has a hump in it where the driveshaft comes through it. This means it's got a jet pump on one side of the tank to pull the fuel from that side over to the fuel pump side of the tank. If that's the case and that jet pump has stopped working or the sending unit from that side has stopped, then essentially you are running out of fuel. This is because it's not pulling from the other side of the tank. Adding a couple gallons feeds the actual fuel pump and that's why it's starting. I am almost 100% positive it has this setup. I owned one of these but I just can't recall the tank setup. Please have a look and let me know. I am showing a sending unit only, but I am unable to locate a diagram of it, just parts and labor.

please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
replacement cost?

I am showing the part $135 and 1 hour labor to replace it. Thing is, I think you could confirm this exists simply by pulling up the back seat. The fuel pump is a module, comes with the sending unit on it, so I really think this is the culprit here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
going to check, may be awhile

That's ok, I am on here until about 7 pm eastern time. I will get notice when you reply. If I am wrong we have to look elsewhere for the issue.

Please let me know if you need more help with this. I don't work Sunday, but I will get your response and answer promptly on Monday morning.

Thanks