Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ning my 2002 ford E-150 the fan on the vents will keep

Customer Question
Ning my 2002 ford...

Ning my 2002 ford E-150 the fan on the vents will keep running but the vents seem to close and all the air stops coming out of any places being the floor, defroster or dash vents. What should I be looking for to repair this??/

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on?

About a month and a half. I started by putting a test lite on the fan motor electric input and made sure the fan was running while this vacuum shut off. The fan kept running but no vent air

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Like I said the fan is running while the vents shut off. it will happen at different times and for different time lenths, then automatically turn back on and then it repeats this

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I'm trying to fix it myself. I'm aware of the lid on the top of the dash exposing the vacuum lines'

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 11 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

The most common cause of this problem is a vacuum leak at the vacuum canister mounted under the hood under the evaporator case. It is not accessible without removing the evaporator and the case under the hood along with the batter, battery tray. The way we fix it is to purchase a new vacuum canister, plastic check valve and about 3 feet of small vacuum line and relocate the vacuum canister under the passenger side of the dash.

What happens it the heat from the engine and also rodents damage the vacuum lines and canister and cause this problem.

I can give you directions on how to do this repair if you want.