Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 2003 ford mustang is showing a code P1285 after checking…

Hi there... My 2003...

Hi there... My 2003 ford mustang is showing a code P1285 after checking it with my FIXD gadget

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

My car's temperature gauge for the coolant ran hot and i'm trying to narrow down the possible cause.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

The code is reading P1285

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No im going to take it to a mechanic

9/15/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, I need to know if yours has the v6 or v8 engine

I also have a printout and it show that Engine and it reads Engine coolant temperature:248.0 F. It's a v6
Hi Eric, I'm not sure if we are still connected to chat?

HI,

Yes, we are. I am checking the code now. give me a few minutes

Ok, thank you.

HI,

P1285 is for engine overheat temperature detected by the cylinder head temperature.

Possible causes are sticking thermostat, internal leak of the headgasket or intake manifold, external leak, faulty water pump, cooling fan, or restricted radiator.

The first step will be to do a cooling system pressure test to check for external leaks as well as loss of pressure and no external leak indicating either headgasket or intake manifold.

If it holds pressure, then the water pump, thermostat and radiator will need to be tested.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Ok Great, thank you very much!
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager