Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 2008 ford f250 just sent showed "cleaning exhaust pipe"

My 2008 ford f250...

My 2008 ford f250 just sent showed "cleaning exhaust pipe" as a message. Should I be alarmed?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

165,000. we just purchased this yesterday so I am concerned.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't done anything. we have only driven it for 50 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i know of. this is my first diesel

9/15/2017
Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin this is the control system taking over the cleaning of the exhaust filter .there is no reason to be alarmed just at the nearest convenience drive on freeway for 10-15 mins to allow process to occurr

Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic
okay, so when I am driving in town, do I need to let it idle longer before I shut off the engine?

No you need to make no change .the car wont carry out this service fully unless your driving so its best to just continue driving until message dissapears

Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic