Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 ford Taurus. The problem I am having is that…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 ford Taurus. The problem I am having is that the fuel pump continues to run with key on engine off with a P191 code I believe. With a scan tool the fuel pressure is at 89psi at all times. I replaced the fuel pressure sensor and replaced the fuel pump driver module. I also checked all of the wiring under the back seat all the way to the fuel pump inside the tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

Fuel pressure reads a constant 89psi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything I've done is in my first statement

9/15/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

That's way too high, it sounds like a bad pump that is dead heading the pressure constantly.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

it's possible a pump can fail in that manner. Is there any way to test that other than replacing the pump

Sure, check the actual pressure with a gauge. Most parts stores loan out testing equipment for a deposit too.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

I already know what the pressure is. Is there anyway to test the pump itself other than replacing it?

Okay, I thought you checked the pressure from the scan tool via the pressure sensor.

If you tested it already with a gauge, then you already confirmed that it is bad. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor